Requirements to receive Form I-20 AB
If accepted to Monroe College, you will be notified in writing by the Office of International Programs. You will then need to submit financial documentation in order to qualify for the Form I-20 AB, Certificate of Non-Immigrant Student Status.
You must document your ability to finance both your living and educational expenses while studying at Monroe. The following financial documentation and deposits are required to be mailed before the college may issue you the Form I-20 AB.
- Expense Statement (MBA) / Expense Statement (Undergraduate) / Certification of Funds: You must complete and sign the certification of funds and return to Monroe College
- Financial Certification: Evidence of your sponsor's financial status must be documented on official bank stationery and indicate account type, total of account and date account opened. Your sponsor must show sufficient funds available to cover the estimated yearly living and educational expenses as projected by the college.
Your sponsor must provide evidence of current employment and yearly wages. If your sponsor is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States, he or she must provide copies of his or her most recent tax returns along with certified copies of the W-2 forms.
- Affidavit of Support: Your sponsor's sworn affidavit must indicate the exact nature of his/her contributions and total sponsorship must exceed amount estimated on expense statement. For example, if your sponsor will provide for your tuition expenses, he/she should state, "I will contribute (X) amount toward John Doe's estimated yearly expenses. Tuition will be paid in full at the start of each semester". Please make certain to type or neatly print the affidavit. Also, you should ensure that your financial sponsor has a copy of the certification of expenses.
If you will reside with a relative in the U.S., he/she should complete an affidavit of support and provide a copy of his/her lease or evidence of property ownership. This sponsor should indicate the exact nature of his/her contributions. For example, "I will furnish room and board for John Doe while studying at Monroe College. Accomodations will be provided at no cost to the student." Sponsorship Forms should be neatly printed or typed and notarized.
- Advance Tuition Deposit: As evidence of financial ability and sponsor commitment,all applicants must include a tuition deposit as stated on the estimated expense statement. The deposit must accompany your sponsor's financial statement and affadavit.
- Housing Application Fee: If you need housing, you must pay a US $150 non-refundable Housing Application Fee.
- School Transfer Certification: If you are a transfer student, you must present copies of all previous I-20's issued to you and complete the school transfer notification process within 15 days of the start date of classes. For specifics, contact the Office of International Student Admissions.
Special Note: All fees are fully refundable in the event of a documented visa denial, with the exception of the Application Fee. All fees should be made payable to Monroe College and may be paid via bank draft, money order or credit card.
Once your financial information and deposits have been received through the mail and approved by the appropriate college official, Monroe College will issue you the Form I-20 AB.
Late applicants may be charged the cost of mailing this form via an express mail service, so plan accordingly.