Monroe College's Bronx campus is an ideal urban campus located in the bustling Fordham section.

New Rochelle

Located in downtown New Rochelle, the Monroe College New Rochelle campus is nestled in a diverse, thriving suburban community in Westchester County.

St. Lucia

Located on the Vide Boutielle Highway, Monroe College’s St. Lucia campus offers a practical education designed to give students a competitive edge in the workplace.

  • To Maintain Your F-1 Student Status

    (adapted from  NAFSA Professional Practice Workshop: F-1 Regulations)

    Report to the Designated School Official (DSO) for Students Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) registration upon arrival at Monroe College.

    Please visit Office of International Student Services at the start of each new semester so that we may confirm your registration in SEVIS, the shared database which the U.S. government and colleges & universities use to track international students.

    Attend Monroe College

    If you have a Form I-20 issued by Monroe College, you must be attending Monroe College. Keep in mind, excessive absences in your classes mean that you are not attending and are thereby jeopardizing your status.

    Pursue a full course of study or engage in authorized practical training following completion of studies.

    You must be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits for undergraduates and at least 9 credits for graduate students) unless you have been approved by the Office of International Student Services for an authorized semester off or you are on full-time OPT. Any exceptions must be approved by the Office of International Student Services in advance.

    Make normal progress towards completing a program of study

    Each semester you are expected to maintain a minimum GPA in accordance with the college's policies.  Failing grades, repeated withdrawals, poor attendance and similar issues may jeopardize your status.

    Apply for a timely extension of stay

    Check the end date on the first page of your Form I-20. If you will not complete your degree by this date, you must apply for an extension from International Student Services at least one month in advance.

    Obtain a new Form I-20 for a change in academic program, funding, or level of study

    Many students don't realize that they must also apply for a new Form I-20 if their original source of funding for tuition & expenses has changed. This regulation emphasizes the importance of communicating with your sponsors and planning ahead.

    Follow transfer procedures - if applicable

    If you intend to transfer to another school, let the International Student Services Office know your intentions well before you plan to leave so that we may provide you with the necessary paperwork to transfer your SEVIS record to your new school.

    Abide by the F-1 grace period regulations

    Don’t assume that the expiration date on your visa gives you legal standing in the U.S. for the duration of your visa. When you complete your program of study or OPT, there is a 60 day grace period before your status is completed. You must maintain your F-1 status at all times.

    Report change of address to the DSO within 10 days

    Report any changes of address or phone number to Office of International Student Services within 10 days. If we attempt to reach you, you must respond.

    Abide by any special requirements (such as Special Registration - NSEERS)

    Some students may have special requirements they must follow which are set forth by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

    Maintain a valid passport

    If your passport will expire, apply for a new one from your country’s consulate in the U.S. at least six months in advance of your passport’s expiration date.  

    Do not engage in unlawful employment

    All F-1 student employment must first be authorized through International Student Services before beginning any type of employment.

    Depart the U.S. in a timely manner

    Do not overstay your legal status. Doing so may jeopardize your ability to return to the U.S. on any type of visa.

    Common Violations of Status

    • Failure to attend the authorized school
    • Failure to notify the ISC of an address change within 10 days of the change
    • Unauthorized employment
    • Failure to enroll for a given academic term
    • Interrupting studies before the completion or remaining in the U.S. after terminating