Receiving I20 and Applying for Student Visa
Our International team offers specialized support for international students. We are always available to answer questions about your immigration status and your practical adjustment to the United States. Follow our next steps below so you can have a successful transition to Monroe’s campus.
Qualify for your I20
The I20 document enables students to make an appointment with the U.S. embassy in their country to receive the student visa. The I20 document is also necessary for international students to transfer to Monroe from another institution in the United States.
Sign and submit the acceptance confirmation form.
Submit Evidence of Financial Ability
Your financial sponsor(s) or you will need to submit evidence of income in the form of bank statements, loan letter or scholarship letter. Financial sponsors will also need to submit an Affidavit of Support.
- Financial contributions must equal or exceed their estimated annual living and educational expenses for two semesters.
- Funding sources must be liquid funds. No retirement or investment accounts.
- Review our Estimated Tuition and Expenses for the 2021-2022 Academic Year.
Monroe Housing Fee
- If you intend to live on-campus, you need to make your $400 non-refundable housing application fee prior to the processing of your I20 or on FLYWIRE.
- If you intend to live off-campus with a relative or friend, your housing sponsor will need to complete a housing affidavit of support.
Once you fulfill the necessary requirements to receive your I20 from International Admissions:
- How Do I Apply for a Student Visa? (Online Tutorial)
- International Admissions will mail through International Courier your I20 document and copy of your acceptance letter. This takes between 2-5 days depending upon the region of the world.
- Make an appointment for a visa interview at your local U.S. Embassy . Please check their website for required documents other than I20 and acceptance letter. The Embassy website will also have details on SEVIS and visa fees.
- Please communicate with International Admissions if you have any concerns or questions on your Embassy visit to ensure you are prepared.
- The U.S. Embassy will notify you regarding visa approval or denial.
- International transfer students transferring to Monroe College from another U.S. based institution need to complete and submit the following form.
Accepted ESL Students: English Language Proficiency
Monroe offers a multi-level program. Full-time admitted students must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score from the last 18 months or take the Duolingo English Assessment upon acceptance to the program.
The Duolingo English Test which is an online English proficiency test that can be taken online, on-demand, in under an hour for only $49. The test is taken via a computer with a camera and includes a proficiency score, video interview, and writing sample which are shared with Monroe College when you send your results. Certified results are available within 48 hours of the test sessions.
Welcome to the Monroe College family!
am so happy that you decided to join our community, and look forward to welcoming you to campus.
One of my favorite parts about being president is helping students experience new things. On any given week, you will find me taking groups of students off-campus on hiking trips, on cultural expeditions into Manhattan, or tasting new foods at fun restaurants. I hope you will accept my invitation to come out with us when it arrives in your inbox. Watch your Monroe College email!
If you’re nervous about starting college, don’t be. The staff and faculty at Monroe are like no other. They are committed to helping you succeed and will help you on your journey from freshman to college graduate.
My door is always open to you. Please stop by to say hello or to discuss any concerns. I can also be reached on 914-740-6803 and email@example.com.
Marc M. Jerome