Why Choose Monroe
Monroe has one of the largest veteran populations of any college in the New York metropolitan area. In fact, we were recognized by U.S. News & World Report as One of the Best Colleges for Veterans, Regional Universities North. From the moment you submit your application, we have a team dedicated to your success.
Please note: Military students should contact their assigned Educational Services Officer at their duty station prior to registration.
Monroe understands the flexibility you need.
For years, Monroe has built schedules to fit non-traditional learners. Monroe online provides the most flexibility. You’ll receive the same real world education that is the hallmark of a Monroe College while being able to complete your classes anytime.
A dedicated Office of Veterans and Military Affairs
At Monroe, there is a fully staffed Office of Veterans and Military Affairs. It includes Military Benefits Specialists, Veterans Admission Counselors and a Director of Military and Veterans Affairs.They have been there, done that, and they will make the admissions and financial aid process easy for you. Once you are a student, you’ll be assigned a personal student services counselor that will be your advocate at the college.
How to Apply
At Monroe, our admissions team will be there to navigate the financial aid and registration process. We are here to support you every step of the way so you can be successful in your academic goals.
- Application. You must submit your application online. You'll first create a Monroe ID in your application portal and share key information like your areas of interest.
- Essay. The essay is your time to shine and communicate your story in your own words in a way that goes beyond your grades.
- Application Fee or Fee Waiver. All active duty military personnel receive fee waivers.
- Official College Transcripts (from all institutions attended). A transcript should be presented to admissions during the application process. You can upload or email your transcript to email@example.com.
- High School Transcript or Diploma. You can upload or send your unofficial transcript by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Schedule your interview. In person, by phone, or via Skype, we want to connect with you, meet the person behind the application and hear your dreams and career goals.
Active Duty Tuition That’s Affordable
We start by waiving the admissions fee for all active duty military personnel. Our tuition for active duty military means there is no out of pocket expense for you. Plus, our three-semester schedule allows students to complete their degree faster.
Apply for financial aid
Monroe College encourages you to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for federal aid. You may be eligible for financial assistance that includes federal grant, federal loans and/or federal work-study.
Please review Applying for Financial Aid to understand the FAFSA process. FAFSA is available online every October 1st. You may apply for federal student aid at any time through June 30th each year while planning to enroll or are currently enrolled
Meet with Roxanna Virgo, Monroe's Military Speciality, to discuss financial aid and your military benefits.
Generous Transfer Policy
Monroe recognizes the value of your military experience and the training you have received, and we offer a generous credit-transfer policy for that experience.
We accept American Council on Education (ACE) recommended credit for:
- Military training or experience
- College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)
- Proficiency Examination Program (PEP)
- United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI)
You also may receive credit for the following:
- Prior colleges and universities you attended
- Police or Corrections Academy Training
- Life experience
Monroe College is a member of:
- Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC)
- The Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAp)
- DANTES External Degree Catalog (DANTES)
All Veterans and Active Duty Military should contact Roxanna Virgo with any questions in regards to the following items:
- Military education benefits
- Veterans’ education benefits
- Academic Advising
- Financial Advising (including all forms of Financial Aid (Federal, State, Military, Veteran)
- Disability Counseling
- Career Services
Active Duty Military Cost of Attendance
|Books & Supplies||$900|
Active Military Tuition and Fees
|Undergraduate||Cost Per Semester||Cost Per Credit|
|Full-Time Tuition (12-18 Credits)||$3,444||$287|
|Part-Time Tuition (Less than 12 Credits)||$287|
|Graduate||Cost Per Semester||Cost Per Credit|
|Full Time Tuition (9 Credits or More)||$3,870||$430|
|Part-Time Tuition (Less than 9 Credits)||$430|