Apply as an Adult Learner
Welcome to Monroe! You’re ready to advance your career with a college degree, and Monroe College has your path to success — our accelerated program for adults. Rolling admissions, six starts each year, and online and on-campus classes are designed to accommodate working students who want to finish on a quicker timetable. With our Prior Learning Credit program, your life experience gets you to your degree faster.
It's an exciting time. If you have any questions, Michele Mumma, Vice President, Admissions Operations, will be happy to help you.
- Application. You must submit your application online at monroecollege.edu/apply. You'll first create a Monroe ID in your application portal and share key information like your areas of interest.
- Essay. The essay is your time to shine and communicate your story in your own words in a way that goes beyond your grades.
- Application Fee. You will be able to submit the $35 application fee online here.
- Official College Transcripts (from all institutions attended). A transcript should be presented to admissions during the application process. You can upload or email your transcript to email@example.com.
- High School Transcript or Diploma. You can upload or send your unofficial transcript by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule your interview. In person, by phone, or via Skype, we want to connect with you, meet the person behind the application, and hear your dreams and career goals.
Get Credits for Work Experience
Monroe knows that learning doesn’t only take place in the classroom. With Prior Learning Credit options, we’ll show you how to turn life experience into a head start toward your degree by translating it into credits. We use an evaluation called a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) to carefully look at everything on your resume.
Prior Learning Sources
- Work experience
- Volunteer work
- Training programs or in-service courses
- Military service
- Community activities
- Independent reading and study
Calculate Your Credit
It’s easy to find out if a first or even a second college degree is closer than you think.
- Credit Predictor will tell you in 5 minutes how you might to save time and money getting your degree.
- Prior Learning Accelerator is a more detailed PLA questionnaire to turn your knowledge and expertise into college credits.
To discuss your personal situation, please contact Janice Girardi and she will answer any questions, plus walk you through the process.
General Business Degree
Broaden your understanding of the field of business within the context of your professional objectives. Under the guidance of an academic advisor, this highly flexible program allows you to design a custom, interdisciplinary curriculum to reach your career goals in Business Management, Accounting, or Health Services Administration. Monroe will prepare you for the complex workings of businesses while enabling you to transfer in the credits you worked hard to accrue over the years.
Career Pathways Program
Monroe knows that sometimes life gets in the way of education. With Monroe's Career Pathways program, you'll get your high school equivalency while earning a college degree. You will also graduate with the targeted skills necessary for the job market.
Once accepted into Monroe’s Career Pathway program, you’ll be taking college classes immediately. Over the course of the first year, you will earn the 24 credits that New York state requires for your high school equivalency. Then, you’ll be just two semesters away from earning your associate degree. This means you can earn your high school equivalency and associate degree in less than two years.
Hear from Our Students
We have created a site exclusively for adult learners. Hear our adult learner student stories and find out more on how we support you on your transition back to college. It is an exciting time and we can't wait to start this journey with you!
When to Apply
|Spring (May-August)||April 28, 2022|
|Fall (September-December)||September 9, 2022|
Like colleges around the country, we’re heeding the call for social distancing to keep everyone healthy and safe. We have moved all our admissions events to online virtual platforms and we have met terrific students this way! You can sign up for a webinar or schedule a phone call or text appointment with one of our advisors, that is customized with your interests in mind. Look forward to meeting you soon!