Apply as a Transfer Student
You’ve earned the credits and now it’s time to earn your degree. Transfer in up to 90 college credits, including credit for work experience, military training, and CLEP, and turn your hard-earned credits into a bachelor’s degree at Monroe College. Take advantage of our flexible scheduling options, 6 calendar starts per year, online and on-campus opportunities, and generous life experience credit opportunities. Let Monroe help finish what you started.
It’s an exciting time. If you have any questions, Michele Mumma, Vice President, Admissions Operations, will be happy to help you.
- Application. You must submit your application online at monroecollege.edu/apply. You'll first create a Monroe ID in your application portal and share key information like your areas of interest.
- Essay. The essay is your time to shine and communicate your story in your own words.
- Application Fee. You will be able to submit the $35 application fee online here.
- Official College Transcripts (from all institutions attended). An official transcript should be presented to admissions during the application process. You can upload or email your transcript to email@example.com.
- High School Transcript or Diploma. You can upload or send your unofficial transcript by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SAT/ACT Optional. Monroe is test optional; however, if you choose, you can submit your SAT or ACT scores to enhance your application. Not submitting test scores will not affect your chances for acceptance.
- Schedule your interview. In person, by phone, or via Skype, we want to connect with you, meet the person behind the application, and hear your dreams and career goals.
When to Apply
|Winter (January-April)||January 6, 2022|
|Spring (May-August)||April 28, 2022|
|Fall (September-December)||September 9, 2022|
Maximize Your Credits
We'll work with you to apply the most credits possible toward earning your degree. Your admissions advisor will identify credits from three key sources to show you where you are on your path.
- Transfer up to 30 credits toward an associate degree or 90 credits toward a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university program.
- Transfer up to 66 credits if currently enrolled in a two-year program toward a bachelor's degree.
Requirements vary by school or academic departments, but a grade of C or better is needed for transfer credits. Using credits to satisfy upper level major area courses must be approved by the school dean.
Credit By Examination
Based on your intended program of study, you can add to your credits through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the Advanced Placement Program and other examinations.
Get Credits for Work Experience
Monroe knows that learning doesn’t only take place in the classroom. With Prior Learning Credit options, we’ll show you how to turn life experience into a head start toward your degree by translating it into credits. We use an evaluation called a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) to carefully look at everything on your resume.
Prior Learning Sources
- Work experience
- Volunteer work
- Training programs or in-service courses
- Military service
- Community activities
- Independent reading and study
CALCULATE YOUR CREDIT
It’s easy to find out if a first or even a second college degree is closer than you think.
- Credit Predictor will tell you in 5 minutes how you might to save time and money getting your degree.
- Prior Learning Accelerator is a more detailed PLA questionnaire to turn your knowledge and expertise into college credits.
To discuss your personal situation, please contact Janice Girardi and she will answer any questions plus walk you through the process.
General Business Degree
Broaden your understanding of the field of business within the context of your professional objectives. Under the guidance of an academic advisor, this highly flexible program allows you to design a custom interdisciplinary curriculum to reach your career goals in Business Management, Accounting, or Health Services Administration. Monroe will prepare you for the complex workings of businesses while enabling you to transfer in the credits you worked hard to accrue over the years.
Hear from Our Students
We have created a site exclusively for adult learners. Hear our adult learner student stories and find out more on how we support you on your transition back to college. It is an exciting time and we can't wait to start this journey with you!
We have a very generous transfer credit policy. In fact we accept up to 90 credits from accredited institutions towards a bachelor’s degree. Through our articulation agreement, Monroe College has agreed to accept up to a total of 12 credits (combined) from study.com, portagelearning.com, and straighterline.com.
Like colleges around the country, we’re heeding the call for social distancing to keep everyone healthy and safe. We have moved all our admissions events to online virtual platforms and we have met terrific students this way! You can sign up for a webinar or schedule a phone call or text appointment with one of our advisors, that is customized with your interests in mind. Look forward to meeting you soon!