Study Accounting Online at Monroe
- ACBSP accredited– the seal of approval employers look for
- Plenty of networking opportunities
- 24/7 online tutoring available
- Career focused skills in math, accounting and business as well as the liberal arts
There’s no doubt about it: Getting a degree in accounting can be challenging. You’ll study economics, accounting and managerial principles, and business law. Rest assured that your professors know that, and they’re here to help you every step of the way. You can chat with them online, or visit their offices on campus during posted office hours. Our graduates have found jobs with KPMG, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Deloitte Touche, and Ernst & Young.
Principles of Financial Accounting
Learn the language of accounting, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, journalizing, and posting.
With New York City at your doorstep, internship opportunities abound! Recent placements have ranged from accounting firms to city agencies, industry, and municipalities.
- New York Life Insurance Co.
- Bronx Chamber of Commerce
- PwC - PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- ADAPT Community Network
- Mosholu Montefiore Community Center
- Aspira of New York, Inc.
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals
- NYPD Community Affairs Bureau
- Crime Victims Support Services of The North Bronx, Inc.
Clubs and Organizations
Memberships in clubs and organizations connected with your field give you an extra edge and are essential for networking, too. As an accounting student, you’ll have several to choose from:
- Delta Mu Delta International Honor Society, recognizing the academic excellence of students at qualifying colleges around the world
- The National Association of Black Accountants (NABA), for students who want to enhance opportunities for themselves in the accounting and finance industries. The NABA Chapter proudly enters the Deloitte Case Competition each year…and won first place in 2017 and 2018!
- Association for Latino Professionals for America (ALPFA), helping students develop leadership skills, access the national ALPFA Scholarship Program, acquire professional mentors, and network within the Big Four accounting firms and leading Fortune 500 companies
- The Club for Entrepreneurial Opportunities (CEO), for students of all majors to expand their education outside the classroom with guest speakers and field trips. The club runs annual “Shark Tank” and “Stock Market Competition” events.
Your Future Career
With a degree in accounting, you’ll be poised to tackle jobs in a number of businesses, non-profit organizations, and government, such as:
- Bookkeeper: Develops system to account for financial transactions by establishing a chart of accounts.
- Auditing Clerk: Works in conjunction with accounting and bookkeeping clerks in order to manage accurate financial records for large and small businesses.
- Accounting Assistant: Help managers plan and make decisions by providing financial information.
- Payroll Clerk: Maintains payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data.
- Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable Administrator: Collects revenue by reminding delinquent accounts; notifying customers of insufficient payments. Prepares financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Tax Preparer: Guides clients to file their income tax returns
Professor, School of Business and Accounting
|Fall (Sept - Dec)||August 31|
|Winter (January - April)||December 31|
International applicants are encouraged to apply three months before the start date.